Sunday, June 15, 2008

More on Introversion and innovation

I've written that collaboration is a key ingredient for innovation (And if I haven't written it, I've thought about it a lot), but how does being an introvert fit into innovation and collaboration?

I know I've said I was an introvert. I've been told by various bosses that I need to "Push my comfort zone" and I need to collaborate with others to come up with idea's. I've tried to tell some of the bosses that just going into work everyday, knowing I'm going to have to deal with a bunch of people on various issues, is pushing my boundary and is using up a lot of my energy.

I've had to deal with people all my life and it still takes energy to do that. I don't always have the energy I need left for collaborations and negotiations for innovation.

I believe in "to thine own self be true". I'm an introvert, I work better without the distraction of others. So lately, if I'm trying to come up with a good idea, I listen to the others brainstorming ideas (I don't necessarily participate) I then go off to a quite place and read, think, relax, and "chew" on the information in my own introverted way. I do tend to come up with pretty good ideas that way. I then tell whomever was looking for the ideas and they're usually pretty accepting. I have ran into the problem of some bosses saying "you should have brought it up in the meeting" or "it's too late for that idea". Of course, I want to say "I didn't know good idea's had a time limit" being the smart a** that I sometimes am. Of course at work, you should always hold your tongue to those slower than you.

Remember, it's never to late for a good idea.

No comments: