Saturday, May 24, 2008

Introverts and Collaboration

I am an introvert. I'm in a world of extroverts. Only 25% of people are introverts and that means 75%, a clear majority of people are extroverts. I got this information from the great book "The introvert advantage" by Marti Laney.

The new corporate world demands collaboration and teamwork. If you don't fit in that paradigm then you're not moving up in the corporation...or so I've been told. I've also found that Introversion doesn't seem to be on the corporate Diversity list.

I don't mind talking with others but, as an introvert, I don't sit in a meeting and come up with idea's very well. My best idea's come up about 30 minutes to 1 hour after the meeting. Typically I have, what I've been told, are pretty good ideas but "I should have brought them up in the meeting".

I've seen several people around with this same problem, introverts I'm sure. Collaboration just doesn't always fit with the introvert. I've been trying to come up with some idea's on what introverts need to do to fit in the collaborative world.

Here are some thoughts on how to participate:
- Before the meeting, rest, relax
- Be prepared for the meeting, try to have ideas and answers before you go.
- Don't schedule to many meetings or to many group interactions in one day
- Take notes to help you focus your thoughts
- If there's a point in a meeting you don't have to listen, then work on clarifying your thoughts.
- Let people know that you're going to keep thinking about it and you may have inputs later.
- If they ask you to participate or for input let them know your thinking about it and you need to get your thoughts together so you can give a good answer.
- Once you gather your thoughts, E-mail or send a note to the leader.

I just thought I would pass this on because, at my work, your expected to participate in collaboration efforts. Even if your best thoughts don't come during the meetings.

No comments: